The Importance of Sleep
In honour of Festival of Sleep Day...
Making sure you get enough sleep is not only an important step to making sure you are in a good mood but is a key factor in your health.
We all know someone that turns into bear when they haven’t gotten enough Z’s but here are a few other good reasons to get sufficient shut eye!
- Long term sleep deprivation can lead to forgetfulness and irritability and result in bad job performance, mood swings, and depression.
- You are 4 times more likely to have problems concentrating and in your relationships.
- An estimated 6,000 fatal car accidents occur each year due to drivers falling asleep at the wheel. Your brain needs sleep to regenerate and be at optimal performance.
- People who get less than 6 hours of sleep on a regular basis are 48% more likely to have heart disease.
- You are 15 % more likely to suffer a stroke.
Tips to Better Sleep
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
- Create a bedtime routine, try to go to bed and get up at the same times every day.
- Don’t watch tv or read in bed. If you can’t fall asleep get up and read until you feel sleepy.
- Turn off the electronics. Watching tv or being on your phone stimulates your brain and can make it even harder to get to sleep
- Soothe yourself. Try calming music, a hot bath or yoga to wind down with. Essential oils, soft music and dim lighting will create a serene atmosphere to guide you into a peaceful slumber.